Hi everyone I’ve got another recipe from Homemade Memories by Kate Doran, she has such great recipes 🙂 if you love jaffa cakes then this recipe is perfect for you!
I love the light cake at the bottom topped with the orange jelly and covered with dark chocolate, to be honest jaffa cakes aren’t my favourite but when homemade they taste so good.
To make the orange jelly you’ll need:
60g castor sugar
Peel from 1 orange
3 sheets of gelatin leaves
100ml orange juice (from 2 oranges)
For the cakes:
60g icing sugar
20g plain flour
40g ground almonds
2 egg whites
Pinch of salt
120g dark chocolate
For the method
1. For the jelly combine 120ml water with the sugar and orange peel in a saucepan. Bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes until reduced by half. In the meantime line a square tin with cling film. Soak the gelatin leaves in cold water for 5 minutes.
2. Remove the syrup from the heat and strain into a jug. Squeeze the water from the gelatin leaves and add to the syrup mix and stir until dissolved, pour into the square tin and chill for 2 hours.
3. Place the butter in a saucepan on the stove until the butter just starts to melt. Allow to cool and use a brush to grease a 12 hole muffin tin.
4. Preheat the oven to gas mark 5. Sift the icing sugar and flour into a bowl and whisk in the ground almonds. Add the egg whites, salt and melted butter and whisk to a batter. Divide between the muffin tin holes and bake for 10- 12 minutes, remove and leave to fully cool.
5. Once the jelly has fully set, use a cutter to cut out discs of the jelly and carefully place on to of each cake. (If you don’t have cutters just roughly cut circles using a bread knife)
6. Melt the chocolate in a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water and leave to cool for 10 minutes. Spoon 2 tsps of chocolate over each jelly disc and leave to set.
Definitely need to practice my chocolate spreading skills